Monday 7 May 2007

Commitment to your work

Last Thursday, I was supposed to be on night shift, it was around 4:30pm just as I was about to take my afternoon nap, when my mobile rang. My ailing grandpa asked for me. He has been in the hospital for nearly a week now. Took a quick shower, packed my bag and I was on a 400KMs journey up north to Bukit Mertajam, Penang.

By the time things were settled, I got back to gramp's place and logged on to the Shell network. It was near 12a.m. I ain't provided a laptop, so I used mine with MOP (Mobile Office Private) installed. Why? I was handling a ticket the night before and I was really curious of the progress.

My guess was right, it was a global interruption. Unfortunately nothing was really done until my team was in. I was there online from Penang assisting my team mate until everything was well. It was 4a.m. Time for me to rest.

I'm on daily rate, a day off n I dun get paid. What is it that drives us to feel the sense of responsibility? To feel the sense of ownership? Some will tell u it's just work and it ain't worth a dime more.

Excerpt from an email, a colleague that has guided me more than a few times.

skill (and maybe more importantly commitment) comes fist...

Commitment to your work. That is one of the many factors that separate some from the rest.

2 comments:

Vilves said...

Im rather surprised when I received email from you. YES !! The only person whom knows what is going on is really you. I appreciated your help very much. Your dedication, spirit & responsiveness will be paid off one day.

Jason said...

this fella up there with the 1st comment's my Shift Lead!!! :-D